Wednesday, July 25, 2012

Earthcents Rebate

The Georgia Power rebate check arrived for the energy audit we had done in May. The energy audit cost $400. Georgia Power's rebate was for half the amount of the energy audit.

Sunday, July 22, 2012

Kitchen Demo

 In the kitchen there were 5 layers of linoleum on the floor. This was the top layer.
 Here is the layer beneath the top layer.

 After the top layer was removed the other layers were all stuck together and had to be removed together. Over the top of the sub-floor was a layer of green paper-like stuff.
 It took about an hour and a half to tear up all of the old flooring. It was awful.
We put down some new indoor/outdoor carpet as a temporary measure until the new hardwood flooring arrives.

Thursday, July 19, 2012

Monday, July 16, 2012


Over the weekend we bought a new dishwasher and I picked it up today. I had a 25% off card that I got in the mail when I moved from the post office for Sears. This is a Kenmore and was originally around $830-something. We got it for $719 including the install kit which was $11.

This is the empty dishwasher space in the kitchen. It's obviously been wet before and there is a gaping hole where the electrical comes in. The floor has been patched at some point in the past. This will have to be replaced when we renovate the kitchen.

The new appliance is Energy Star rated and is suppose to be quiet around 51 decibels. I checked it tonight and it was reading well above that, but it is still exceptionally quiet.

Sunday, July 8, 2012

Platform Bed

New platform bed base constructed over the weekend. I joined the pieces using half lap joints and dowels, no screws. I still have to rout a rabbet along the inside edge and stain it.

Monday, July 2, 2012

Another Day in the Attic

Here is the old attic fan from the seventies. Hot air leaks through it's louvers and heats the upstairs of the house.
Cut out in the attic deck for the fan shown. Only the louvers remain.
The next picture shows radiant barrier foil placed in over the louvers. 
This will reflect any heat from moving into the attic during the heating season.  

First layer of batt insulation in place. Kraft paper face down.

 Top layer of batt insulation.

Rigid insulation put in place. I will seal around the rigid foam with spray foam to prevent any airflow from occurring.

Eventually the louvers will be removed also and dry wall will be added to repair the ceiling. But that's later on.

Insulation results

After having spray foam installed on Friday we've had the weekend to assess the results. We have had record heat in Atlanta over the last few days, seeing triple digits every day. The insulation has kept the temperatures down substantially in the attic. They have been contained to about the same outdoor temperature versus the 130-140 degree range without the insulation. On Saturday afternoon the attic temperature peaked at 102 degrees. This is quite a dramatic reduction in the amount of heat getting into the attic, but I would like it to be even less. I am working on some ideas to further reduce the heat gain in the attic. I will post them as they are implemented.

There is a noticeable odor when they first spray the foam. By the next day it had all but dissipated.